To ensure your periodontal procedure is as pleasant as possible, please follow the recommendations listed below:
1. Unless instructed otherwise, please eat well prior to your procedure.
2. Stop smoking and drinking alcohol one day prior to your procedure.
3. Unless specified otherwise, please take all medications you would normally take as directed for other medical reasons.
4. Please discontinue any anti-coagulant medications and/or supplements according to the instructions that your physician and Dr. Gasper have given you – this includes Aspirin. The following supplements have anticoagulant properties: fish oil and garlic supplements, Ginkgo and Ginseng and should be discontinued 7-10 days prior surgery.
5. Other herbs that may be problematic are Echinacea, Ephedra, Kava, St. Johns Wart, Valerian. They should be discontinued at least 7 days prior to the procedure.
6. If you have opted to take any medications to relieve anxiety, please arrange an escort. You cannot drive or operate heavy machinery while under the influence of anxiolytic medications.
7. Be sure to wear comfortable clothing to the surgery appointment.
8. Prepare several cold packs at home. You can use crushed ice in a zip lock bag or frozen peas in a bag. You should wrap them with a light towel prior to use. These are for use for the first 24-48 hours following your surgery.
9. Be sure you have over the counter Ibuprofen/Advil and Tylenol available at home unless unable to take them for medical reasons. Over the counter stool softeners are also advised if planning to take any prescription narcotics for post-operative pain relief. If getting soft tissue augmentation, please purchase Vaseline as well.
10. If you bruise and swell easily, consider taking Arnica (herbal supplement). Place 3-5 tablets (30cc) under your tongue once per day 3-5 days prior to surgery.
11. Please bring all removable appliances that you wear and give them to Dr. Gasper prior to the start of the procedure.
12. If you would like to listen to music or podcast, please bring your iPhone and headphones.
IF YOU HAVE ANY FURTHER QUESTIONS REGARDING YOUR SURGERY, PLEASE CALL US AT ANY TIME: 415-986-4664
You may also call/text message Dr. Gasper directly at 415-887-8652 or email her at: Christina@christinagasper.com